Her eggnog semifreddo with grilled peaches recipe
Bree May is a cook, a writer, a Mum and a South Australian ambassador! After wowing the nation with her culinary skills on My Kitchen Rules, Bree has been on the ultimate foodie journey. Her blog Food According to Bree has been hugely successful, sharing not only Bree’s recipes but her passion for ‘the universal language of love’.
Recently Bree launched her very own range of hand-crafted, small batch ketchups, which are made from scratch, using Bree’s own secret recipes and spice blends – she even bottles them herself!
Inside South Australia caught up with Bree to find out more about her favourite Christmas recipe…
Q. Why do you love this recipe?
I love ice cream. Who doesn’t!? Semifreddo is an Italian semi-frozen ice cream dessert and this is my festive version, taking all the good things from traditional eggnog and turning it into a Christmas dessert ideal for our Aussie summer.
Q. What makes it perfect for Christmas?
This chilled dessert has all the decadent Christmas trimmings we love – booze, fruit, spice and loads of cream. It’s also a super easy, make ahead treat, that will wow the crowd and keep them cool at the same time. Perfect!
Q. Where can you purchase the ingredients?
You can purchase all the ingredients you need from the Adelaide Central Market, GD Wholesale Fruit & Veg, or any of our other amazing independent supermarkets and grocers. We are so spoilt with the calibre of fruit and high welfare dairy and egg producers in our state, as well as the wonderful stockists who support them.
Q. What would you pair with it?
I would pair this dish with a few bottles of incredible South Australian wine and nine friends.
Q. What’s your top Christmas day cooking tip?
Christmas day is not a time for risky kitchen experiments, so keep it simple, plan ahead and make food that can be prepared in advance and cooked or served later. Merry Christmas everybody!
– RECIPE –
3 large Eggs – Separated
500ml Thickened Cream
150gms Brown Sugar
6 Savoiardi (lady finger) biscuits
5 ripe Yellow Peaches
½ cup good quality Scotch Whiskey 1tbs Brown Sugar
50gms whole crystallized Ginger
Large pinch of grated Nutmeg
- Place all the syrup ingredients into a small saucepan. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minu Set aside to cool completely.
- Double line the base and sides of a 20cm loaf pan with cling film and set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the egg whites until they are stiff.
- In a separate bowl, beat the cream until stiff peaks form.
- In a third bowl, beat together the yolks and brown sugar until pale and thickened. Remove the ginger from the syrup and finely chop, then stir through the yolk mixture. Gently fold the yolk mixture into the egg whites until just combined, and then gently fold the egg mixture through the whipped cream until just combined.
- Carefully pour half the egg cream into the prepared loaf pan. Dunk the savoiardi biscuits into the cool syrup and lay lengthways across the crea Once all the biscuits have been arranged, carefully pour over the rest of the egg cream, cover completely with cling film and place into the freezer for at least 6 hours or overnight.
- Reserve any leftover syrup.
- To make the grilled peaches – heat a griddle or fry pan over a high heat. Slice the cheeks off each peach and brush the cut side with any remaining syrup. Place the peaches cut side down into the pan and cook without moving for 2 – 3 minutes until warmed through and charred.
- To serve – remove the fully frozen Semifreddo from the freezer, slice into 10 even pieces and plate up. Leave at room temperature for 5 minutes before serving with a grilled peach cheek.